Q & A with Katie Grant, Founder of RESTORED:

by Jul 21, 2023

What do you love most about the brand you’ve created?

I love how RESTORED:  promotes skin positivity, and how the brand makes other people feel. I wanted to create a fun and playful brand that reduces all of the anxiety and stress when it comes to skincare.

Have you always wanted to work in this industry?

Yes. Since when I was about 14 and I was in school doodling brand names in my Planner.

I knew I always wanted a business-  I just didn’t know what industry it would be in!

When I broke out with acne while modelling I become obsessed with skincare, so everything became clear on the direction to take.

What are you most proud of?

I’m most proud of starting the brand from scratch and being able to learn and adapt to every role within the business. 

From product development, web design, social media and PR/marketing, I’ve had to learn it all along the way. 

Being featured in Forbes ‘trending now in London’ within our first 6 months of launching was also pretty amazing. 

What advice would you give to someone keen to start a business but unsure where to begin?

Do your research! 

Watch as many videos, listen to podcasts and learn as much as possible! I was extremely naive – sometimes it’s a good thing, but you definitely need to know enough to have a solid plan before any big launch.

Who is one of your biggest inspirations – either professionally or personally?

I usually find inspiration listening to women founders. I also listen to the podcast ‘How I Built This’ by Guy Raz and I love hearing their stories of how different founders and entrepreneurs built a successful business – overcoming challenges along the way.

If you could attribute your success to anyone who gave you your big break? 

Being scouted for modelling which led me onto this journey was a huge break and opened up a completely new world. 

Everyone always told me I should be a model because of my height but I was constantly turned away by most of the agencies in London.

I gave up pursuing modelling until I was working in Zara and was approached and scouted by the directors of PRM agency, I was signed the very next day and was in London Fashion Week two weeks later.

What’s the hardest thing about your job?

The hardest thing about having a business is trying to balance work/life. 

There was a period of time where I completely forgot about myself and my mental health but I’m slowly learning how to balance the two. 

Having a business isn’t easy and there are so many highs and lows which can have a roll on effect to your mental health so it’s important to be aware about how you’re looking after yourself.

Which part of your job do you most enjoy?

I love being creative so being a Creative Director for the brand is what I love and enjoy the most. 

90% of the time I’m actually behind a computer screen but the other 10% I get to direct more creative things like campaign shoots and pop ups. 

About Emily Eaves

Co Founder and Editor at To Work or Play, Emily has been Freelance Copywriting for over 10 years. She is passionate about food, drink, travel, design and finding ways to keep her two children out of trouble.

With a background in Luxury Restaurant and Hotel PR, Emily moved from London to Dorset in 2019. She now spends weekends at the beach and daydreams about her vegetable garden.